Great Weather Day, Monuments Men, Election Stuff

Hello everybody, I hope you are great today.  My day has been good, the weather was lovely.  The high for Columbia was 69 degrees today.  I was outside for most of the day doing different things.  My shower chair broke and I fixed it today, helped a friend with his truck and went to my cousins.  Also had time to go to the gym, had a real good workout today.  This morning I did some more editing and new writing on the book.  Pretty productive day and the weather looks pretty good for the rest of the week.  Not too bad overall.  Got a few things to talk about today, have a good time.

Call me old fashioned or whatever makes you happy but I am against this tearing down of the monuments that a lot of the younger crowd seem hip to.  Yeah, just typing that made me feel really old.  Anyway, as you know I am a pretty big history nerd and like to comment on current history news.  I am a believer of the old notion that, "if you forget your history then you are doomed to repeat it".  Like most quotes that have been around for centuries it is hard to pin down the actual first person to say that, sorry that I cannot shed a little light on this.  So, onto monument tearing down, I am against this as we need to see and hear about these people from our past, no matter how good or bad that person was.  If you look back on the history of this great country you will see a lot of people who were probably perfidious at some point, but they may have done something good also.  I may have defended President Trump before on here but I do not defend people that have done something wrong like being a slave owner or a murderer, I think those things are bad.  But if we, as a nation or grouping of people, tear down everything that reminds us of racism or bad times in this country then we will eventually forget that evil does exist.  One of my favorite examples is Rome, they had probably one of, if not the most, the greatest empires ever and there are all kinds of statues of the former rulers or Emperors there even though most of, if not all, of those people were not good characters.  So I say keep all the monuments up, if it hurts your feelings then you just should not look at it, that simple.  Really shocked that I found a way to insert the word 'perfidious' into this paragraph, love differently used words.

As most every person in America knows, we are pretty bad at elections even though we like to say that we are really good at elections.  For the most part we are good except for the bigger ones, like the presidential elections.  The popular vote and the electoral college are very often in disagreement.  The only time a president was elected unanimously was our first one, George Washington.  He famously did not even run for the office, he stood for it.  He was so revered in the young country that there were some that wanted Washington to become a king.  Washington just fought a war against the United Kingdom to get rid of a monarch so he did not want to become one.  Otherwise we might be living a little different today.    I think that is a good idea for an alternate history story, I might just work on that.  So, even though we have not had great elections, no matter what side you root for, just remember that at least we do have the ability to vote.  Also, their is no "right" to vote that is in the constitution, but a privilege.  One more and that is it, when you get arrested and ask for your phone call, that is not a right either so be happy if they let you have one.

Well, that is all for me tonight, there is some really good football to watch.  I hope all of you have a wonderful day or night, take care!


































Comments

Popular Posts