Falling Some More, DUI First, End of an Era

Hello everyone, I hope you are well today.  My day was not too bad although I was not able to go to my Godsons bday party because I fell, but caught myself, while getting out of the shower.  Just my legs killing me, same thing for most of the week.  Like I said, I caught myself before I fully fell to the floor but that may have not been smart since my left shoulder still has not heeled up.  I think I might have a torn labrum or something else pulled and the only way to fully heal I would have to rest it for about 24 hours and I cannot do that since I am in the chair.  Some people say, why don't you get a power chair", to which I say, I'll just get fat and lazy, which does happen to most men once they get into a power chair.  I know there will be one day when I will need to move over to a power chair but I want to use this ability I have for as long as possible.  So hopefully that day will be a long ways off.  Time to get to it.

It is Sunday and I have decided to share a little history story with you.  I might start doing these more often, maybe not.  Anyway, here it is.  It doesn't matter if you are a drinker of alcohol or not but have you ever thought to yourself, when was the first person pulled over and given a ticket for drunk driving, I know I have.  So I looked it up and will link the article after this so you can read it all.  The perp in question was a British citizen who drives a cab and a man with the most British name ever, George Smith, had ran into a building with his cab.  I am unsure if he had a passenger in the car at the time of the wreck.  George got off pretty easy though, he plead guilty to driving under the influence and was fined 25 shilling, which is about a penny in todays money.  This was the first time a person was fined for driving a vehicle for, what would be considered, a DUI.  I forgot to say when this incident occured, it was in 1897.  New York was the first state to pass any laws regarding drunk driving in 1910, other states were quick to follow in the next few years.  I also want to talk about the first breathalyzer type machine, it had the coolest name, The Drunkometer.  I will also include a pic of this contraption because I cannot describe it enough to do justice.  They should improve this and bring it back.  I had found the image from the Indiana state blog but was unable to attach the pic, just Google it yourself.  So, here is that History channel article; http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/first-drunk-driving-arrest

Here is an interesting story I ran across today, it is the end of an era.  Some of you may have heard about the Shakers, they are a religious sect of Christianity, the name comes from the "manafestations" one feels while praying.  There is a lot more to it but I will just leave their Wikipedia article if you want to learn more.  So, this sect is very small, as in 2 members small and they are not accepting new followers, not that a lot of people are banging on the door to get in anyway.  One of the bigger rules of this religion is that you need to be celibate all your life, that cuts down on recruitment numbers really fast.  There is just one Shaker community left, it is the Sabbathday Lake House.  I for one am sorry to see the Shakers go but they kind of did this to themselves.

Well that is it for me tonight.  I hope you all have a great night or day, take care!







Comments

Popular Posts