Shaft review

I know this took a little while but I am finally writing this, my Shaft review.  I watched the movie even though I meant to watch it when it came out about a month ago.  First off, I really liked the movie, it was fun and reminded me of the original Shaft, not the one from early in the 21st century even though I did like that one but I think this one was better.  This one had some good call backs to the original Shaft and some funny easter eggs.  The funniest easter egg was when a woman called Shaft(Samuel Jackson) dressing like Morpheus from the Matrix movies and then Shaft says that he is really getting tired of the comparisons to Laurence Fishburne.  I am sure a lot of people missed this but when you know what it is from then you'll laugh about it.  Some years ago Samuel Jackson was doing an interview with a reporter and the reporter called him Laurence Fishburne.  Funniest moment of the movie for me.  Just a little call back to that.  It's funny and I kinda figured that Shaft would not like all this new technology and the way kids are living nowadays and it is a good running joke throughout the movie.  I like how everything is "old fashioned" way of doing things.  There are just a few little problems, mostly just pacing problems at the beginning.  But they get worked out through the film.  I really love towards the end of the film that the original Shaft, Richard Roundtree.

Overall, it was a fun movie and a good way to spend a lazy afternoon.  Yes, there are some corny parts like how the original was but it works for the movie.  I would like to see a sequel as I think they set things up for one, hopefully it comes out in a few years.  So I think this is a definite watch, go check it out and let me know what you think.

Comments

Popular Posts