I'm Back, Crashing Economies 700 Years Ago, Poor Pluto

Hey everyone, hope things are going well.  Things are fine with me, my internet was out yesterday and did not want to write on my phone, it kinda hurts my eyes since it's so small.  But I am back and will write something that I hope you like.  Really wish I got more feedback though to see what you all like, so please write me on Facebook or just leave a comment on here if you would like.  I would really appreciate it.  I did just get done with publishing my post on the history blog about wealthy people in history, it is over at lifeinachairblog.wordpress.com.  So, let me do some writing today.

It's a history day!  I want to talk about the one time that one person tore down the global economy back in the 14th century.  Mansa was a very devout Muslim and helped spread Islam around his territory of Mali.  A little background, Mali was an extremely wealthy nation at the time, owing to all the gold and salt that was traded in that area, salt was very important in the days before refrigeration as it was the only way to keep meat fresh for days, plus it was a big spice people added to food to increase flavor.  Of course we all know how important gold was, at any time in history.  In 1324 Musa made a hajj or pilgrimage to Mecca, which is something every Muslim is supposed to do as long as they can.  During his journey from Mali to Mecca, he had quite the caravan with him.  It was said that he had as many as 60,000 men with him and countless camels and horses carrying gold dust that he spread along the way, giving sometimes to the poor or building mosques along the way.  From some of the stories from this time, it was only a small amount of his wealth that he took with him but considered it a good thing to give it away to the poor, as that is another tenet of Islam.  Because he was so liberal with the gold during this time, it offset the market so bad that it took around 15 years until market prices returned to what they were before Musa came through.  From other stories, it also affected the gold prices in Europe at the time, a place far away from where Musa traveled.  That would be like Jeff Bezos making a trip around the world and spreading a few billion around like it was no big deal.  I could see that bankrupting countries even today. 

I know this was a very contintious issue when it happened a while back, the downgrading of Pluto from a planet to a dwarf planet in 2006 and it seems that there are a lot of people wanting to make Pluto great again by restoring the planet status.  Personally I did not have much of an opinion on this but I knew people that were really upset about the downgrade.  I did read the article that I will share but am still a little uncertain what they where debating, it's a little over my head, I guess.  So I will let you all read it and see what you come up with, enjoy; https://whnt.com/2018/09/10/pluto-is-most-definitely-a-planet-and-should-never-have-been-downgraded-say-some-scientists/

Well, that's it for me tonight.  I hope that all of you have a great night or day, take care!



























Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Steven,who would think that one person with a lot of gold giving to the poor could cause so many problems. I would think that this would be a good thing.So I just don't under stand how this could have been a bad thing.I don't remeber talking or studying that much on Pluto.So I will go to the website you have put in your post and read more on Pluto.Good reading....

Popular Posts