Good Day, Famous Date Anniversary, Good Disabled Article

Hello everyone, hope things are great today!  Sorry about last night, it was my internet again, wish I had the money to change companies but Centurylink is pretty expensive, I think it is like 49.95 a month as right now I am paying 29.00 a month.  So I guess I will stick with this internet I have right now even though it doesn't work great, I can work around that some.  Things might change if I do get this job, which it sounds like I have a really good shot at it.  Something that has come to my attention recently, there is a Missouri Study building going in downtown that is for the Historical Society of Missouri.  I think that if it does not work out with Hy-Vee then I can look into a job there and I think it would work really well for me.  It looks like they are almost done with the outside but the inside is what takes a little longer usually so I'm guessing it will be open a little after the first of the year or so, I know I would like to be among the first inside.  It looks to be a good size building, probably 3 stories or so and the width is pretty good size wise.  The design is a little different on the outside but I am not going to make any judgement until it is done.  Here is some good news, the parts finally came in so I can get my hand controls on my new van done on Thursday!  Finally, now I just need that refund from them so I can get the tires for the wheelchair and I think I am going with solid tires instead of tires with air.  Anyway, let me get into it!

Today is the beginning of one of the most important battles in history, the battle of Stamford Bridge in England.  I am writing about this now for my next history blog post and thought since this was the anniversary of the date in 1066 then I would talk a little about it now.  This was the first of the two battles for the control of England, the second was King Harald Godwinson of England going against William the Bastard of Normandy.  This battle pitted King Harald against Harald Hardrada, who was a Viking chieftan, to a battle for control of the country of England.  King Harald of England was the king of all the Saxons and was made king after the death of Edward the Confessor, who sort of gave out the right to rule England to most people he met, at least it feels that way to some historians.  This was because Edward had promised the throne to William of Normandy and Harald, those were the two main men he said was his heir.  Harald Hardrada was King of Norway at this time and wanted to recreate the North Sea Empire of Canute and wanted to badly take over England to add to fully recreate this empire.  So Hardrada had landed in eastren England and moved until King Harald approached at Stamford Bridge.  As some of you know, the Vikings were serious warriors so this was a bloody battle.  At one point before the battle, there was just one Viking warrior on the bridge holding off the English and killing 40 men before he was slain by an English warrior who floated under the bridge and stuck his spear in a very unfriendly place.  The Norwgein army was routed in fairly short order but the English were not given much time to celebrate before William came calling and the two armies faced off a few months later.  That's a story for another day though.

So I came across an article that has much to do with my situation, problems cities across America have with people with disablities.  It is something I will share with you so you can read this for yourself to find out a little about what the disabled community has to go through on a daily basis.  Some people who are not disabled do take advantage of the things that your city does for you, from transportation to availability to get into places.  But a lot of people just overlook the hardships that people that are like me have to go through all the time.  Like for instance, New York City, the largest city in America, which has 425 subway stations and only a small amount are accessible to people with mobility issues like a wheelchair.  Anyway, here is that article; http://blog.disabilitycanhappen.org/american-cities-problems-people-with-disabilities/

Well, that is it for me tonight.  I hope all of you have a wonderful day or night, take care!


























Comments

Popular Posts