It's me again, going to write about something a little different today.  I thought it would be good to write about my life in the wheelchair, since Life in a Chair is the name of the blog.  So what happened to me to get in the chair is a nerve condition called Gullian-Barre Syndrome, mostly referred to as GBS.  The initial attack that caused the GBS happened a little over 12 years ago when I was 24.  On July 15, 2004 I woke up around 6 in the a.m. and I could not feel my feet.  I thought that I had just slept on them wrong, kind of like what happens when you lay on your arm and your hand goes to sleep, same feeling.  I tried to stand up out of my bed but my legs gave out from underneath me and fell.  This happened four times before I started thinking that it was something more serious.  First I called my parents who told me I should call my doctor.  I am from a smaller town where my doctor was someone I could call at home.  He told me to come into his office at 7 and he would see what is going on.  Anyway, I don't want to give too many details here because I am writing an autobiography that I hope to be completed soon.  I have not worked out a title for that one.

So, what is it like for me in a chair today, or more recently.  Finding out that I would more than likely never walk again was pretty hard to take but I believe that I have done a good job.  Even though I lost almost all of my friends when this happened because for one reason or another they didn't want to see me, I have made some good friendships and good ones even better.  The easiest thing, at least for me, when I started using a wheelchair was the physical aspect of it.  Your body is an amazing thing and can do pretty much anything that it has to do.  Probably the hardest aspect for me was how I was treated in public by people that I have never met, or the looks or glances people would give you.  That was pretty hard at first but I worked through it by better educating myself about disabilities and how others have dealt with it.  I still notice the looks but I think that society is more aware of disabilities than even 10 years ago.  I will go pushing in my chair around my neighborhood or downtown and now people are more likely to stop and say hi than before.  Unfortunately that has not worked in my favor when it comes to a relationship with a woman.  Probably the hardest aspect of being in a wheelchair, again for me, is finding a woman that I can grow a relationship with.  I have been single the entire time of being in a wheelchair.  I am not going to go on and on about my thoughts as to why on here, it is too much to write honestly, but I did want to say that.  On to other things.

I am a big Kansas City Chiefs football fan and the regular season is going to be starting soon, cannot wait for that first game, always a good feeling.  I am really hoping for a good year, hopefully Jamaal Charles comes back strong after that injury last year.  Also, watching the back up quarterback position battle is good.  Somebody has to come out on top, we need to have that figured out soon.  I am sure Andy Reid has a good idea who is backing up Alex Smith at this point.  I did read earlier today from Bleacher Report that Aaron Murray is on the trading block.  I had high hopes for him with the Kansas City Chiefs.  If he does get traded then I hope the best for him where he goes.  The problem is that before the Chiefs signed Nick Foles we did not have a quarterback besides Alex Smith with regular season game experience.  Plus the Chiefs are going to need to figure out in the next few years who will be the replacement for Alex Smith because he is not going to be a starting quarterback for the Chiefs in 10 years, more than likely.  I will root for them no matter what though.

So, that is all I have for today.  I hope you liked it and leave a comment if you would like me to discuss something else.  Have a great day.

Comments

Popular Posts